Followers

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vacation

So the family and I went on vacation last week to New Bern North Carolina. It was the four of us and my mom and dad.

The drive was ten hours long. The boys did great (thank the lord for DVD players).
After making several wrong turns, we finally made it. (thank the Lord for GPS) So we thought this vacation was going to be spent on the beach in the ocean and close to a lot of happenin' places. We were wrong! We had to drive about 12 miles to get to anything which ended up not being much of anything and the beach was an hour away.

We did have a nice time though and a few adventures...

The old part of New Bern was pretty cool. We had to cross 2 bridges to get to it one being a draw bridge.


The town is celebrating 300 years this year and they are crazy about bears like we are about horses. I won't bore you with the details. But it was beautiful. They had a nice park that was near the water. Here are some photos of the boys playing in the park.


This was a newer church but still beautiful


Eric and I had a date in the historic part on Thursday night. We went to all the cool little shops and looked at the beautiful old churches and ate at the best place in the world!! Morgan's Tavern & Grill.  You walk in and you are thinking...what is this place b/c you had to walk about 1/2 mile down a narrow hallway. Then all of the sudden it opens up to a gorgeous room that looks like you are walking down the streets of Louisiana or Savannah. (not that I've ever been to either of those places) There were different levels of seating some under pergolas and our seating was set up like we were on the side of the street with old fashioned lamp posts and clocks and trees. It was so pretty.



So we started with the Drunken Mussels for Appetizer! They were so yummy.


Then I ate Rosemary Carmel Mahi-Mahi with Lobster Bisque. Mahi fish is so yummy on its own but this was breaded lightly and a Carmel Sauce was drizzled over the top and sprinkled with FRESH Rosemary. It smelled heavenly and tasted out of this world.


 Then I ate S'mores for dessert...again...scrumptious!


I'd have to say it was one of the best dates Eric and I have ever had. We got to take our time and just enjoy each other's company. Check out the photos of our food...yes I took photos! Eric thought I was stupid at first then thought..well maybe they will think you are a food critic and give us free shit...well they didn't. I'm sure I don't look like the food critic type. Befor eating we walked around downtown and marveled at this one beautiful church and their outside worship area. There were bricks all around etched with names of those members that had passed away. One in marble was dated all the way back to the 1700's. This little outdoor sanctuary was surrounded by huge mossy trees and just being there took you back in time and you could just picture the people worshiping the Lord here. Look at this picture of the cross with the sunshine peeking through the mossy trees to shine on the cross. It took my breath away.





Tuesday night we planned a trip to Ocracoke which is in the Outer banks. After mapping it out on the GPS and calling the Ferry we calculated that it would be a 2 hour drive to ride a boat for another 2 1/2 hours. We could stay on the island for about 6 hours then take another 2 1/2 hour ferry ride back to the mainland for another 2 hour drive home. Eric was dead set against it. He had a good point....with all the time traveling we could be almost home to Kentucky. But...I wanted to go to the Outer banks. My boss is from around there and has spent a lot of time there and assured me that Ocracoke was a cool town and that the beach was awesome...You can just drive up to the beach and pick up seashells by the bucketfuls he told me.

So Eric lost, Dad and I won. Mom could have cared less I think. The ferry ride was cool...the boys loved it. Reed kept screaming BOAT BOAT. We get to Ocracoke and drive through the small little town...it did look pretty cool. Then I see a sign indicating that we could drive up to the beach here. So I scream let's go to the beach. So we drive on a sandy road that was never ending. Eric attempted to turn around because there was no sign on the beach. Dad (who was following our vehicle in his Venza) motioned him to keep going. So we keep going. As soon as we see the beach we realized that the vehicle is no longer moving. WE WERE STUCK ON THE BEACH. I mean literally stuck. Eric gets out and sure enough Dad is stuck too. As soon as Eric steps out these beastly green flies start swarming him and biting him. They bite so bad they draw blood! They hurt like hell. I felt so sorry for Eric and Dad, they were digging with their hands in the sand while fighting off bugs. A Beach towing truck showed up and helped them and finally after charging us EACH $65 towed us to safer sand but basically told us to get off the beach. He evidently showed up there every 2 1/2 hours when the ferry arrived. He made bank that day. He towed the two of us and one other person within 30 minutes. Then we saw him down the road about 2 1/2 hours later towing more! I've never been so terrified in all my life. I just imagined us having to walk back that LONG SANDY HOT road with the two boys because we had to abandon our car. That's how I felt! It was horrible. So needless to say Eric had enough by this point. We finally all agreed to go to Howard's Pub & Grill. It was so freakin' hot outside but we finally got to eat and Eric got enough beer in him to where the rest of the day was fine.

The ferry ride back was boring. We had been there and done that and it stormed on us too. So we are all huddled in this small room on the ferry and I'm trying to keep Reed entertained enough to keep him quite because a lady across the aisle was trying to sleep. I explained Look Reed that lady went night night so we need to be quite so we don't wake her up. So what does he do? He screams a blood curdling scream then laughs. I felt so bad. The lady didn't move and I finally got Reed quite. He proceeds to make scenes and do his little cackle laugh and Dad finally offers to take Reed to sit in the car. "Maybe I can get him to sleep" Dad says. I'm thinking..yeah right...but gladly hand him over. About that time the lady gets up and starts playing cards with her group of friends. (The noisemaker leaves and THEN she wakes up!) So about 10 quite minutes go by and we hear a car honking. Remember we are on a Ferry and there is no land in sight. We are out in the middle of the ocean. (not really the middle of the ocean..it was a sound) I grimmace because I know it was Reed I just knew it. The lady turns around and says I've got money that the honk came from your little boy, I'm just waiting on the little cackle to ensue! I guess she was trying to be funny but it kinda hurt my feelings too. I'm doing the best I can here lady!

So that was pretty much it. We shopped and went to the beach one day. Reed didn't like it too much and neither did I. Kai loved swimming in the pool and learned how to finally swim and hold his breath under water. It was a great time but truly exhausting!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My money would have been on the fact that Dale had gone to sleep and Reed was honking the horn to wake him up! (Did Howard's Pub & Grill offer a family discount? ;-> )

    ReplyDelete