Followers

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tribute to a Lost Friend


So recently there have been posts about a great friend that was lost recently in a tragic accident. I didn't know Diesel but I know some of his friends and it makes me wish I did know him.

All of this has made me think about Matt.  Matt died 6 years ago in a tragic four wheeler accident. He was planning to get married soon and had a 3 month old baby girl at home.

Matt was engaged to my friend Jennifer Marcum.  He was the only person in the world that could have been with Jennifer for as long as they lived. He loved her so much and saw her for the wonderful person that she is. Eric and I became close friends with Matt & Jennifer soon after they began dating.  Eric's best friend (Jennifer's brother) had moved away so Matt & Eric became 2 peas in a pod. They loved to go four wheeling, play guitar & drums together and of course get drunk together! They were really good at that! Matt soon became like a brother to me. He was so fun to be around and so easy to be yourself with.

You could be in the worst mood ever and just hang out with Matt for a few minutes and your worries were soon all gone. He loved to play the drums and was really good at it. He loved Dave Matthews Band and you could tell that their music moved him.

When Jennifer was pregnant and about to give birth, she asked me to be in the delivery room with her and Matt. I was so honored to be asked and a little scared! I hadn't had any of my own children at that time. So the day that her daughter was born (July 17) was the one of the most magical things I've seen. Well...after hearing Jennifer scream and cuss at the nurses..she was so funny, if you knew Jenn you would be laughing. Matt raced over to Ashtyn and started singing to her and just talking away to her with such love and compassion, it took my breath away. I was so glad that I was there to see that.



Because 3 months later his life was taken. Eric and Matt and a group of guys went four wheeling and Matt's four wheeler went over a cliff and he died. Eric actually found him and I will never forget the call that I received from Eric. Then I had to deliver the news to Jennifer. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do and I will never forget it. My heart broke for her I just wanted to hold her and never let go. Then when Matt's mom showed up at the house and we had to tell her you could hear her scream for miles and miles. Again, something else I will never forget.

The days after that were a blur..I remember them but at the time they just blew by. He meant so much to us and his family. It is amazing the things you remember and how much a life gone can effect you.

Of course for Eric it was more surreal since he was with him and found him.  Here we are 6 years later and I feel like the worst friend ever. I barely see Jennifer and Ashtyn and I haven't visited Matt's grave in a long time. I despise the fact that life has gotten so busy that it has robbed me of time with them.

We love you and miss you Matt!


2 comments:

  1. Too many are taken way too young. My heart is broken over Diesel, but it continues to break more as I see what his friends are enduring and the tributes that they are paying to Diesel and his family. Just like Matt will always be a part of your lives, Diesel will always be a part of their's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tribute. Matt was a lot of fun and I wish I had been privledged enough to know him better. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete